Bridge over the River Seine
Alexandre III crosses the river Seine to connect
the Champs-Élysées quarter and Invalides.
The bridge features some exquisite Art Nouveau
lamps, cherubs, Nymphs and golden Pegasus horses;
the Nymphs on the upstream side of the bridge
carry the weapons of the Parisians, whereas the
Nymphs downstream, carry the weapons of Russia.
The bridge’s name itself, came from Alexander
III of Russia, and whose son laid the first foundation
stone in 1896.
One of the requirements for the
construction of the bridge, was that it must not
obstruct views of the Invalides and Champs-Elysées,
so as a result it only reaches a height of six